The Kairos of this World

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Death by Death by Suburb


Beware those books you read for "research"; they just might end up kicking your butt! Such was the case with David Geotz's book Death by Suburb:How to Keep the Suburbs from Killing Your Soul. I figured this book would give me insight into the people I work with (largely representing the "typical" suburban lifestyle), yet I found that while I may not have many of the "trappings" of a suburban life: house, kids, SUV, etc, I do possess many of the same attitudes. Really, I was doing fine until I hit chapter five. Bummer. Oops, I mean, "Yeah! I'm so glad that my character has been exposed." Actually, I am. Geotz's has an easy to read style and his toxin/practice matrix is very practical. If you are not normally bent towards reading Christian mystics such as François Fénelon, this is a great introduction. While some may not appreciate his acute insights (which sometimes pierce you with their deadly acuteness) I would challenge would-be readers to read this book with an uncommon openness (I think it is supposed to hurt a little.)

Read it...I dare you!

1 Comments:

  • Hey, found your blog refreshing to read! Thanks, it's nice to read something without having to overt my eyes, lol!

    By Blogger Shawn, at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home